Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Oh lord

  1. #21
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    [ QUOTE ]

    Both show up wearing Appalachia shirts.


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Tell me they weren't t-shirts.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #22
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    Hers was a sweatshirt.
    I think his was too, but honestly I was just listening at that point and laughing out loud.

    Really, if for no other reason, because he kept repeating himself, they really need to make themselves some notes. If someone speaks before them, then sure add something.

    If nothing else, maybe they should act the elective of public speaking.

    Some simple rules

    1)Make points
    2)Don't repeat the same verbage over and over, you lose your ability to make points and it makes the audience feel as if you are trying to 'condition them'.
    3)Don't insult your audience
    4)Be respectful of different opinions, without attacking them.

    Me personally, if I was going before a board and trying to get them to 'do the right thing' (or what I consider the right thing), I wouldn't tell them what they should do and insult them or attack them.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    Why, oh why, do you go before the School Board or Board of Supervisors wearing a [censored] T-SHIRT????

    Then again, after seeing what Ben Cooper wore to court, I have to say that doesn't surprise me at all.

    Sometimes I think my head may explode... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #24
    Inactive Member ms pemberley's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    [ QUOTE ]
    Me personally, if I was going before a board and trying to get them to 'do the right thing' (or what I consider the right thing), I wouldn't tell them what they should do and insult them or attack them.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Actual insults? I'm sorry to sound a bit surprised, but I don't have cable and don't get to watch the meetings. I get to hear bits and pieces afterward.
    Looking for my Darcy, but finding only Wickham. Right now, I'd settle for Bingley.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    [ QUOTE ]
    after seeing what Ben Cooper wore to court

    [/ QUOTE ]

    That's probably all he could fit his big [censored] in. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  6. #26
    Inactive Member imported_Ruby's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2007
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    Good post
    They still play football in Kentucky ever Friday night at Letcher High , Shelby Valley, Pike Central, East Ridge, etc. The communities that make up these new schools wear the new colors and are proud supporters of the new schools. These communities were big rivals a few years back now they are one big happy school. All pulling for their teams just like they did for the old schools.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member swvacsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    You will remember Rock that I first proposed the transfer of severance tax funds. I am a former chairman of one of the major political parties in Wise County and I am quite familiar with the workings of the General Assembly. The idea that such a reassignment could not be enacted or be considered by the General Assembly is hogwash- of course it could. Let me further point out that attempts have been made in the past (I should say suggested)to give the Board of Education power to force consolidation in rural areas. The General Assembly shot these down out of hand. In order for such power to be extended it was felt that a constitutional amendment was needed- there is no chance such an amendment will ever see the light of day in this state.
    Almost 90% of the severance tax- perhaps more- comes out of Pound and Appalachia (I could be off by around 5%). If this money over the last ten years had gone to the communities in question we would be talking about 25 or 30 million (with good management). It cannot be denied that these schools could have been repaired with that money. A trust fund could have been set up with these funds for community development and schools. Why should these communities share this money? I have no problem and the those I have talked to in Pound and Appalachia have no problems with sharing this money with Coeburn and St. Paul where you have a degree of mineral production and processing- but we do have a problem with other areas who play no meaningful role in this activity.
    Now as for removing the source of these funds from the hinterlands of Appalachia and Pound- that would be up to the General Assembly- not the Wise County Board of Supervisors.

  8. #28
    Inactive Member imported_neutral's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2005
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    It seems as if there is a concensus here against the people of Appalachia, Pound and St. Paul.
    If the state can mandate consolidation as is stated. Why has it not been done in Dickenson County. From my understanding the funding is or was there and so was the vote to consolidate.
    Seems as if some of you here and some not even from Wise County are pushing this and trying to make others looks stupid. If wearing a shirt with a school logo to a school board meeting makes people look stupid. Then we have a lot of stupid people all over this land. In several places this is done as a form of unity and to send a message.
    That we are still here and were still united in our cause.
    Back years ago when the coal miners went on strike in this area you did not hear of folks putting them down. They were fighting for not only themselves, but for those who couldn't fight the retirees and widows. I don't remember camo being laughed at. It was given respect.
    Constant criticism is what many on the anti-consolidation group will point to. As this is what our children will face when you combine schools. Some are helping that cause to be seen.
    Yes in my view as an outsider consolidation is needed for Wise County schools. However some are making the argument for the people who are fighting against consolidation.
    Your basically stereotyping people from several areas. In particular Appalachia and Pound. Which is what happens in most consolidations that make them go wrong.
    I don't have a horse in this race. But with what is going on. Neither side is making things look good for their cause.
    From what i read here and hear out publically. I don't think it has anything to do with sports. I think it's about communities.
    Both sides i think want to do what is right. But with the attitudes involved. I am not sure either can come to a sensible conclusion. That is why you add such things as this to the ballots and let all have a say.
    What is best for the children and the county is what is best in the end. In the end folks will do what is best for the children and what the county can afford.
    You don't go out and purchase anything you can't afford to pay for. Or if your a parent leave it to where your children will have to pay for it again later.
    I am neither pro or con. Yet i do see what both sides are saying. And the negative stereotyping is what many are saying will happen if consolidation does happen.
    The constant arguing and yes stereotyping is not doing anything but digging the gap wider.
    As i said no horse in this race. Just an outsiders view of how it looks.
    And neither side is winning many points.

  9. #29
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh lord

    Funding in Dickenson was there (Federal money, due to flood zones) but a little thing called Hurricane Katrina did away with that money.


    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  10. #30
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Oh lord

    It had nothing to do with the storm, they just didn't move. It would have already been spent, Bush cut the program. The link was on here , the money laid there for a couple of years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •